Can Dogs Eat Cream Of Mushroom Soup? The Crazy Truth

Cream of mushroom soup in white bowl with bread
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

As you prepare dinner, you notice your dog mid-slurp inside one of the cans of store-bought cream of mushroom soup on the kitchen counter.

Taking the can away swiftly, you can’t help but wonder to yourself, “Can dogs eat cream of mushroom soup?”

Whether it be a branded product such as Campbell’s, or your own secret recipe, it would not be recommended to give your dog any type of mushroom stew.

Like with ramen noodles or Reese’s Pieces, cream of mushroom does not provide any nutritional benefit to your dog and serves only the purpose of tasting good. In fact, cream of mushroom soup could very well be harmful to dogs!

Although small amounts of cream of mushroom soup will not mean anything in terms of mushroom toxicity, it is not exactly a healthy option either.

Many dogs are lactose intolerant, which means that if they eat any dairy-based product (such as cream) they will experience symptoms of an upset stomach such as abdominal pain and diarrhea.

In addition to the GI issues caused by cream, the food is also relatively high in fat, sugar, and sodium. All of these components escalate the risk of health issues and are likely to lead to life-threatening problems.

Nutritional Information of Cream of Mushroom Soup

Although the nutrition contained inside cream of mushroom soup depends on the specific recipe, the average nutritional content of a soup made with milk are as follows:

Average Cream of Mushroom Soup Nutritional Information (Per 100 Grams)

Name

Amount

Unit

Calories

65

kcal

Carbohydrate

5.83

g

Sugar

2.65

g

Total Fat

3.64

g

Protein

2.35

g

Sodium

364

mg

Source: Average Calculated from FoodData Central

On average, 100 grams of cream of mushroom soup has 3.6 grams of fat, 2.6 grams of sugar and 364 milligrams of sodium.

With minimal amounts of beneficial minerals and vitamins, and a negligible quantity of protein, cream of mushroom soup is not exactly a healthy option for anyone- dogs included.

Can Dogs Eat Cream of Mushroom Soup? The Dangers

Can dogs eat cream of mushroom soup?

Although there is not too much fat, sugar and sodium in 100 grams of Cream of Mushroom Soup, it is still not good for your dog’s health. There are always better food sources that are healthier and more appropriate for your dog to consume.

See also  Can Dogs Eat Rotten Meat? 3 Things You Should Know

Fat Content

Fat is essential for keeping your dog’s skin and fur healthy and soft. . Furthermore, certain fats like the Omega fatty acids are important for maintaining proper visual health and brain function.

Although fat is important in a dog’s diet, consuming too much fat from foods like Kielbasa, liverwurst and the cream of mushroom soup is very dangerous.

Eating Cream of Mushroom Soup may not show any significant effects early. However, with every mouthful your dog eats, the fatter it becomes.

In the short term, the excess fat exerts pressure on organs and joints, making it more difficult to breath and hindering your dog’s mobility. In the long term, the fat that remains increases the risk of life-threatening problems such as diabetes, obesity and heart disease.

The sugar and carbohydrates in Cream of Mushroom Soup act in a similar way to fat as your dog’s body stores them as fat by internal processes. This escalates health issues that were previously indicated including obesity and cardiovascular disease.

If your dog consumes a large amount of cream of mushroom soup in a short period of time, it can also be at risk of acute pancreatitis. This is a condition where the pancreas becomes inflamed and irritated, causing it to digest itself.

Symptoms of pancreatitis can include vomiting, lethargy, stomach pain and fever.

In severe cases of pancreatitis, your dog will need to be treated with painkillers, anti-inflammatory medications and IV fluids. Although your dog should recover following treatment, acute pancreatitis can become a lethal condition.

Sodium Content

Mushroom soup with cream and potatoes

A small amount of sodium is required to maintain a healthy musculoskeletal and nervous system. Furthermore, sodium prevents cells from dehydrating and swelling.

Dogs generally obtain their sodium from table salt. However, some dogs do accidentally consume other salts like Epsom salts.

Whilst there are only 270 milligrams of sodium in 100 grams of cream of mushroom soup on average, it is still 270 milligrams too many.

Consuming cream of mushroom soup frequently or in large amounts leads to elevated sodium levels in your dog’s body. This can cause GI issues, neurological problems and cardiovascular complications.

It is especially not recommended for older dogs and dogs with internal organ issues to consume cream of mushroom soup as their bodies are less competent in processing any excess sodium.

See also  Can Dogs Eat Funyuns? Frightening Facts To Know!

Although it is unlikely, your dog may suffer from sodium poisoning if they consume a large amount of cream of mushroom soup and the recipe uses a sizable amount of salt.

Typical signs of sodium poisoning include:

  • Increased heart rate
  • High blood pressure
  • Confusion or mental fogginess
  • Loss of coordination
  • Watery diarrhea
  • Tongue swelling

In severe instances of sodium poisoning, it can lead to seizures, coma and even death.

If your dog does slurp up even a little bit of cream of mushroom soup, make sure it drinks as much water as possible to remove the excess sodium from its body. You could proactively make it drink more water by giving it ice cubes.

It can be difficult to identify symptoms of salt poisoning until it is too late. It definitely would be a good plan to take your dog to the vet for a checkup if you find out that they have eaten too much cream of mushroom soup.

Lactose Intolerance

Cream of Mushroom Soup generally contains the sugar lactose, due to its addition of dairy and cream. Most dogs- particularly adult dogs that have been weaned- are unable to digest dairy products like milk as they have insufficient enzyme lactase to break down the lactose sugar.

As a result, the sugar passes along their digestive tract, attracting water and leading to diarrhea and other stomach issues. Within 12 hours of consumption of Cream of Mushroom Soup, you are likely to see runny stools.

Other GI issues include:

Vomiting – If your dog starts drooling or licking surfaces, then it would indicate your dog is nauseous and will soon potentially vomit

A lack of appetite – Watch for sudden changes in appetite as some dogs are generally non-picky eaters

Bloating – An uncomfortable condition of gas buildup which can be painful for your dog

Flatulence– Better known as farting.

So whilst the cream of mushroom soup is not toxic, it will leave your dog’s digestive tract in a mess- which you will then need to clean up. Have fun!

You can avoid these consequences of lactose intolerance by using a non-dairy cream, or simply not feeding your dog any cream of mushroom soup.

See also  Can Dogs Eat Sugar Cane? Sugarly Not..!?

Food Allergy

Brown mushrooms on cutting board

While it is not common, your dog can suffer from a food allergy after eating the cream of mushroom soup due to the mushrooms or dairy content.

It is generally safe for dogs to eat mushrooms that you buy at the grocery store; however, each dog is different in how their body reacts to certain foods. Never under any circumstances feed your dog wild mushrooms since their safety cannot be guaranteed.

Your dog’s immune system may misinterpret the mushrooms and dairy content as something harmful and produce cells that attack it. This can happen the first time your dog eats cream of mushroom soup, or even over time.

Some symptoms of a food allergy include:

  • Itchy Skin
  • Hives
  • GI issues such as diarrhea and bloating
  • Swollen face, including swollen lips or eyelids

Your vet can provide anti-inflammatory medication or skin ointments to help with symptoms of food allergy. However, you can avoid the consequences of food allergy and the considerable fees of seeing a vet if you simply avoid feeding your dog any cream of mushroom soup at all!

In Summary

Cream of mushroom soup dangers infographic

So, can dogs eat cream of mushroom soup? Yes, most dogs can (and would love to) get their paws on the dish, given its creamy, salty qualities.

However, should you give your dog any? The answer is a definite “no”.

Although cream of mushroom soup is not toxic to dogs, there is literally no benefit for your dog if they eat any.

Every gulp of cream of mushroom soup increases your dog’s daily sodium, fat and sugar intake- all of which are not healthy in excess amounts.

Other than a momentary mouthful of deliciousness, your dog will be burdened with an increased risk of health issues, diarrhea and potential allergic reaction. Therefore, it’s simply best to skip the can of creamed fungi and still with vet-approved cans of dog food instead!

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *