What Happens If My Dog Licks Catchmaster Glue Traps?

Checked by Pixel Perfect

This post may contains affiliate links. If you click and buy we may make a commission, at no additional charge to you. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.

Your dog doesn’t look pleased at all, as you continually foil its attempts to eat forbidden items ranging from cough drops to kielbasa.

It decides to exact petty revenge by running towards the nearest inedible object it can see: the Catchmaster glue trap you laid down just last night for pest control.

It gets you thinking. “What happens if my dog licks Catchmaster glue traps? Or any glue traps for that matter?”

Glue traps are generally non-toxic to canines. None of the materials used to create Catchmaster Glue Traps are harmful to dogs.

The worst that can realistically happen is for the adhesive of the glue board to become stuck to the tongue or fur around the pup’s mouth.

If the glue trap gets stuck to fur, you can simply use shavers or scissors to remove the sticky hair. Take care not to accidentally cut your dog with the scissors though!

An alternative (though slightly messier) option that can also get the glue out of hair or off the tongue is to apply vegetable or mineral oil.

If none of these options appeal to you, consult with your vet on the best options available to remove the adhesive product from its unintended target.

Are Catchmaster Glue Traps Toxic To Dogs?

(Side note: I am a member of the Amazon Associates program. From time to time I like to recommend products in my posts that I feel may truly be helpful to readers and their pets. If you do end up buying something by clicking the links on my site, I may receive a tiny amount of commission from the big guys. 

And if you do end up buying something- Thank you! I really appreciate your support and I’ll always do my best to put out more quality content for you 🙂 )

No, Catchmaster glue traps are not toxic to dogs.

Catchmaster have stated that their glue traps are both safe and non-toxic.

The components used for their products are a “combination of consumable materials” that will not cause any significant issues for dogs.

Do Glue Traps Have Poison On Them?

No, glue traps do not have any poison on them.

None of the materials used will have any poisonous effects on dogs.

The only poisonous material your dog may come in contact with may be any bait that you may have used to catch targeted animals on the Catchmaster glue trap.

What Should I Do If My Dog Licked A Glue Trap?72 Catchmaster Mouse Insect Glue Boards 72mb Mice Roach Spider Flea Sticky Trap"

The main problem likely to arise if your dog has licked a glue trap is to do with the adhesive itself- which, as you can imagine, will have a tendency to stick onto your dog’s tongue or to the fur around their mouth.

If the glue trap is merely stuck to their fur, you can use scissors or shavers to remove the attached area. Just make sure to be careful in case you accidentally cut your dog’s skin!

Alternatively, vegetable and mineral oils can be used to remove the glue trap if it gets stuck to either fur or tongue.

While it is generally safe to do this yourself, it would be best to contact your veterinarian first to confirm if it is safe to go ahead.

How to Remove Glue Traps Using Vegetable Oil- 3 Easy Steps

1. Warm up the oil in a bottle first, if possible.

2. If necessary, you may need to gently restrain your dog or provide a vet-prescribed sedative or tranquilizer.

3. Apply the oil onto the glue and surrounding areas, and massage gently. It will take only a few minutes for the oil to soften the glue enough for removal.

After you have removed the glue trap from your dog’s fur using oil, you can remove any remaining oil by using degreasers such as Dawn dishwashing detergent.

Following that, wash your dog using medicated shampoos such as Sebolux which can help soothe contaminated fur and skin.

Vegetable oil is usually the safest option. However, it can be substituted with baby oil or petroleum jelly if the glue trap is stuck firmly in the fur.

Are Glue Traps Harmful To Dogs In Any Other Way?

Rat stuck on glue board

Unlike to mice or insects, glue traps are not harmful to dogs in any way- except if they decide to eat entire glue boards on a sudden whim.

If your dog does consume whole glue traps, potential issues that you may need to watch out for include choking and intestinal blockage. Though unlikely to occur, both situations can be lethal.

There is really no need to take your dog to the vet if they have eaten glue traps unless their behavior changes in the following hours, and you observe signs of intestinal blockage or choking.

While signs of choking are obvious (wheezing, gagging and pacing back and forth), signs of intestinal blockage are less obvious and can include loss of appetite, stomach pain and vomiting over the next 24 hours.

Other signs of intestinal blockage that may warrant a visit to the vet include:

  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal swelling
  • Glazed eyes
  • Inability to pass stool.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate A Glue Trap?

Contact your vet for further directions if your dog had eaten a large piece of glue trap. It is not recommended, however, to induce vomiting or provide milk to dilute the foreign material unless your vet has advised you to do so.

This is because the glue trap may become lodged in the throat on the way up and cause even more damage.

If you are worried that your dog is at risk of suffering a stomach blockage, you can feed it a bland diet over the next few days consisting of foods such as:

  • Pumpkin paste or canned pumpkin
  • Skinless, boiled chicken or lean beef
  • Boiled white rice or potatoes.

This will help reduce the risk of GI blockage and stomach pain by surrounding the foreign material and pushing it smoothly through their digestive system.

You can also consider providing Pepcid-AC 10 milligram tablets to your dog every 12 hours or so. This will help to reduce stomach acid production, prevent inflammation and soothe the digestive tract.

In Conclusion

So, what happens if a dog licks Catchmaster glue traps?

Nothing at all, most likely.

Glue traps such as Catchmaster Glue Traps are generally harmless as they contain materials that are non-toxic.

If your dog happens to lick a glue trap, the most likely problem that may occur is that the adhesive could attach to either its fur or tongue.

If the glue trap is stuck to your dog’s fur, use scissors or shavers to remove the attached sections. You can also use various oils such as vegetable or mineral oil to remove the glue trap.

Using vegetable oil is probably the most suitable option if the glue board is stuck to your dog’s tongue. However, make sure to consult with your vet first if you are unsure as they may have even easier and more effective solutions.

Check Out These Articles
My Dog Ate a Pencil: Should I be Worried?Dog’s Paws are Cold: Should You be Concerned?How to Make Dog Fur Soft: 6 Easy Tips!
11 Household Items That Can Poison Your DogGuide To Choosing A Dog Diaper For Your DogUltimate Guide To Dog Health
Ultimate Guide To Puppy TeethWhy is Charcoal Good For Dogs? Amazing Benefits To KnowWas Your Dog Bitten By A Squirrel? Do This Next!

Leave a Comment