My Dog Ate A Fly! Is It Safe? (Read Now)

Dogs won’t hesitate to consume anything weird they find on their way. Their innately curious nature encourages them to try all kinds of questionable things. And interestingly, not all things are edible. Besides old foods and other animal feces, these rampant scavengers can eat stuff like honey bees, mosquitoes, and even flies.

Well, flies can make us all crazy. And the quick and expected response of a dog to these insects’ yuckiness is to snap its jaws around them. It can seem amusing, but you may wonder, ‘Is it safe for dogs to eat flies?’

Like many other dog owners, you may also find this dog’s behavior quirky. After all, it’s those yucky flies! However, the fact is that the fly isn’t harmful to dogs if it’s occasional. But if it’s a chronic problem, you should be concerned about it.

Let’s find out some essential facts related to a dog’s behavior of eating flies, whether it’s safe or a matter of concern!

Some Facts About Dogs And Flies

Some Facts About Dogs And Flies

You will be fascinated to know that flies drink food because they have no jaws to chew it up. So flies follow a liquid diet. They have digestive juices that break down solid food and liquefy it to let them drink it. That’s why you are always told to keep food covered!

Flies can savor food with taste receptors on their lower legs and feet. They first wander around food to detect and settle on the tastiest portion.

These awful insects can cause potential diseases like E. coli and Salmonella by spreading the bacteria to surfaces and food wherever they settle. Flies transmit other harmful diseases, including cholera, tuberculosis, and typhoid fever.

So if your dog ate a fly, it’s better to take him to your vet.

My Dog Eat Flies – Is It Normal?

Yes. Eating flies is typically considered a natural and ‘normal’ behavior of dogs. These rampant scavengers are known to eat bugs and many other quirky kinds of stuff. So besides flies, you can find them feeding on crickets, grasshoppers, and often spiders.

Keep an eye on their health and behavior. If your dog eats flies, check whether they show any negative symptoms. If not, then there’s nothing to worry about.

Should You Worry If Your Dog Eats Flies?

Should You Worry If Your Dog Eats Flies

Flies are annoying, especially if you see them flying around your food. And it is the intrinsic nature of dogs to feed on various things that are “yech” to us. It includes other animal poop and insects like mosquitoes, honey bees, and flies.

If your dog has ingested a fly, it will not cause any issues for them. However, if eating flies has become a habit, it might not be safe.

Devouring flies occasionally is usually harmless and fine. But smacking them every day can cause harm. You can’t let this habitual behavior rule your dog’s entire life.

However, this habit can sometimes indicate compulsive behavior. Your buddy might be suffering from anxiety or any other behavioral issue. Another possibility is that he is bored.

You can give your dog some playing items that divert his attention from its prey habit, like a ball, Frisbee, treat-ignoring puzzles, or other enrichment toys. These kinds of stuff will keep them engaged.

Working dog breeds are usually more inclined to chase flies or bugs. When this behavior becomes a habit or gets out of control, it can become a problem. Apart from toys, sufficient physical and mental exercise can also help discourage your canine from practicing this compulsive behavior.

Are Bugs Poisonous?

Are Bugs Poisonous

Most bugs are non-poisonous. So ingesting them on rare occasions won’t cause any harm to your doggy. But there are poisonous insects too. And if your dog is a gobbler and eats almost anything, they can ingest a poisonous insect too. It can include a venomous spider and a scorpion.

Some reports say that lantern flies are poisonous to dogs. If consumed, it can cause blisters or seizures in dogs. If consumed, it can cause blisters or seizures. However, according to trusted sources like the Penn State University Extension Service, there is no proof that this fly species has toxins, so there is no confirmed conclusion on whether these flies are toxic to dogs.

Whether toxic or non-toxic, it’s better to know what spotted lantern flies look like. Adult spotted lantern flies feature black and yellow on their bodies, two sets of wings, and are nearly 1-inch long. The upper part flaunts gray with black spots, and the lower portion is bright red. Identifying these flies can help you keep your pup away from them.

Well, if your dog tends to eat flying or wild creatures, supervise them when outside. Keep them away from pesticides and other poisonous things around.

Why do dogs chase and catch flies?

Why do dogs chase and catch flies

You may find dogs chasing and trying to catch flies. It’s mostly to ignore and toss the insect aside. However, you can also find them spitting them out soon after nibbling.

In the case of dogs, eating and hunting behaviors are different. Dogs enjoy hunting, which triggers their predator drive. So chasing a fly and catching it is a win-win situation and entertainment for them.

Another common reason is that flies are annoying, even to dogs, just like they are to us. They are disturbing and itchy for dogs. So they try to hunt them down to eliminate the nuisance.

Are Flies Harmless for Dogs?

Flies are themselves non-toxic and harmless insects. But they can carry various harmful disease-causing bacteria with them. Bacteria usually come from the feces or composting materials where flies settle down.

Now: They can transmit the parasites to the things or food they later settle on. Likewise, when a dog eats flies, these parasites can be transmitted to them.

Well, dogs are naturally immune to many bacteria out there. But some life-threatening parasites can still cause harm to them. However, the risk of infestation will be greater if your dog consumes quite a few flies or a booster dose is due.

A disease-causing bacterium can even be transmitted if your dog ingests the food on which a fly sits. It can poison your dog, and your only choice will be to rush to your vet.

My Dog Ate A Fly: What To Do Now?

My Dog Ate A Fly What To Do Now

First of all, don’t fret if your dog ate a fly. Ingesting one fly won’t cause any potential harm. Your dog can suffer from mild indigestion at most. It would be so mild that you may be unable to understand it.

Are you sure your buddy ate only one fly? Look around to see if any alive or dead flies are hanging around. If so, he has probably eaten more than one.

It’s better to consult your vet to be on the safe side. They can suggest the best thing to do regarding it.

You can look at the symptoms below after your dog ate flies:

  • Lack of appetite
  • Diarrhea and nausea
  • Irritability and restlessness
  • Loss of consciousness and shaking

If you notice more of these symptoms in your dog, the degree of complication might be high. Take them to the vet immediately.

Should You Stop Your Dog From Eating Flies?

Eating flies has no nutritional benefits but can cause indigestion. So if you feel uncomfortable or it’s becoming a behavioral habit with your buddy, stop them.

Give him obedience training that includes commands like “drop it” or “stop.” Whenever you see him chasing or catching flies, command him. Your dog will start following your commands. Likewise, you can also assess his obedience.

Apart from this, you can offer him toys or cuddles to divert his attention from the flies. Try to distract him in any way possible and keep flies away, like by setting up a fan.

The least likely possibility is that your dog has a nutritional deficiency. And it tries to fill it by eating flies. Your vet can give you the best advice on it.

 Talk to the vet if you fail to prevent this habit in your dog.


What if my dog ate a fly?

In most cases, there’s nothing to worry about if your dog ate a fly. Eating 1 to 3 flies won’t, ideally, cause any harm. However, you must monitor your dog to see if it’s showing any adverse symptoms.

Are fly eggs dangerous to dogs?

If flies lay eggs on your dog, it can be fatal. The eggs will hatch into larvae that feed on their host’s flesh.

What should you do if your dog ate a fly?

To err on the safe side, consult your vet if your dog ate a fly. They will give you the best suggestion on whether to monitor your dog at home or bring them in.


Dogs nibble on anything questionable or annoying, including insects like mosquitoes and flies. Their natural instinct comes into play while looking for something to chase or eat. It’s a fun activity for them, normally.

Generally, eating 1 to 3 flies won’t cause any potential complications in dogs unless those flies don’t sting or fly. The fact is, it’s difficult to determine which bug is toxic and which is not. And flies can themselves be harmless. But they are experts at carrying harmful parasites that can be transmitted anywhere they settle down.

So it’s better to stop your buddy from eating these yucky insects.

Check Out These Articles
Why Does My Dog Keep Stretching Her Neck? 6 Unexpected Reasons!Why Does My Dog Follow Me And Not My Husband?Puppy Shaking After Eating? 5 Concerning Reasons Why!
Why Does My Puppy Go Crazy At Night? 7+ Reasons Revealed!My Dog Won’t Leave My Side! (11 Surprising Reasons)Is Your Dog Making Crunching Noises With Its Mouth?
Dog Smacking Lips In The Middle Of The Night? 7 Surprising CausesDog Chewing With Nothing In Its Mouth? Top 7+ Surprising Reasons Why!Is Your Dog Suddenly Aggressive Towards Cats? 5 Main Reasons!

Leave a Comment