Crisis- Dog Ate Magic Eraser! [What To Do]

Checked by Pixel Perfect

This post may contains affiliate links. If you click and buy we may make a commission, at no additional charge to you. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.

If your dog ate a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, the first question you’ll likely have is, “Are Magic Erasers poisonous?”

Fortunately, in most cases, you don’t need to freak out too much. That’s because Magic Erasers are entirely non-toxic.

However, even though the Erasers aren’t poisonous, that doesn’t mean you’re completely out of the woods.

Any time your dog eats something that isn’t food, they risk choking or intestinal blockage.

Because Mr Clean Magic Erasers can be quite large or irregularly shaped, they can present a significant choking hazard for a curious pup if eaten.

Stomach blockages happen because your pet’s digestive tract cannot break down the materials in the foreign objects. Even though Magic Erasers aren’t poisonous, you should still store them with your other cleaning supplies like baking soda and keep them out of reach of both pets and children.

Dogs can have both partial and full intestinal blockages, and they are serious conditions. Your pet may appear lethargic, vomit, and may start to lose weight.

So, what do you do when you find out your dog has eaten a Magic Eraser? Keep an eye on them and contact your vet if you notice any unusual behavior. Hopefully, within a couple of days, your dog will pass it, and you won’t have anything to worry about!

Is Eating Foam Dangerous for Dogs?

It’s not a far leap from “What happens if my dog eats a Magic Eraser?”, to “What happens if my dog eats foam?”

The good news is, foam is relatively similar to Magic Erasers when it comes to its impact on dogs. Foam is non-toxic, just like Magic Erasers, but it can cause intestinal blockages. You should note that not all foam has the same effects on dogs.

Mr Clean Magic Erasers contain a special ingredient called melamine foam. Melamine foam has an open-cell structure that acts like super-fine sandpaper, but is completely harmless to dogs.

Materials like insulation foam, on the other hand, will irritate every part of your dog’s digestive tract. This irritation will lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and quite a bit of discomfort until your dog passes it.

While there isn’t an extremely high risk of it causing long-lasting damage, there is a risk, and it’s still not good for your dog.

If your dog eats anything that they shouldn’t and starts acting unusually, you need to reach out to your vet to see if there is anything else that you need to do.

If you find your dog choking on a piece of Magic Eraser, it is vital to try to remove it as quickly as possible. If you can see the chunk of foam in its throat, use your fingers to pull it out.

If you can’t see the lodged piece, you’ll need to attempt the Heimlich maneuver on your dog. See the video below on the proper, safe way to perform the procedure.

Do I Need to Take My Pet to the Vet for an Intestinal Blockage?

Yes! Intestinal blockages are extremely serious conditions that can end up killing your pet.

Partial blockages will have significant adverse effects on your pet’s health and well-being. Full blockages can kill your pet within 24 hours.

Making the matter even more serious, partial blockages can turn into full blockages at any point. If you suspect your pet has a partial or complete intestinal blockage, you need to reach out to your vet immediately.

Symptoms to look for when your dog has eaten a Mr Clean Magic Eraser include:

  • Heavy panting, trouble breathing, or choking
  • Visible stomach bloating
  • Constipation
  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Bloody stools
  • Loss of appetite
  • Visible distress, such as pacing or whining

What are Other Cleaning Products Dangerous to Dogs?

Cleaning products on sink

Most household cleaning products are toxic to both humans and dogs, even in small amounts.

Bleach, Windex, Air Fresheners, shampoos, and dryer sheets are all toxic for your dog. If your pet ingests any of these products, you need to immediately reach out to your vet and get your dog taken to a pet hospital for treatment.

You should always keep household cleaning supplies locked up and out of reach of both children and pets.

If your pet does get a hold of one, you should read the label to see if it is toxic. Do not follow the care instructions on the product without talking to a vet or an animal poison control specialist. The instructions are for humans and may not help your pet in the same way.

If you are in the middle of an animal poisoning crisis, you can reach out to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline to talk to a vet immediately.

If you’re not sure about what to do or if you don’t know if your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, contact your vet and see if you need to take any further action.

For a more comprehensive list of 11 Common Household Items that are toxic to dogs, check out our page here!

How Do I Prevent My Dog from Eating Something He Shouldn’t?

Dachshund dog training

Today your dog ate a Magic Eraser. Tomorrow, they’ll probably eat something else. So, what can you do about it?

In many cases, your dog’s destructive behaviors stem from the fact that you don’t have a dog yet, but a puppy. But it’s still important to train your puppy so when they get a little older, they know the right way to behave.

Whether you have a dog or a puppy, the easiest solution is obedience school.

When it comes to obedience school for your pet, there are options where a trainer walks you through the training process every step of the way, or options where you can drop off your pet to be trained and pick them up later.

However, if you’re not looking to spend the money on obedience school, here are some tips and tricks you can try at the house yourself.

The Distraction Technique

Every time your pet goes to try and eat something that they shouldn’t, try to distract them with something else, such as a treat or toy. It shows your pet what they can and can’t play with.

This can be an extremely effective technique if you stick with it!

Exercise the Boredom

Another thing to try is to get out and exercise with your dog. Whether it’s going out on a run with them or just getting them to play a game of fetch, if you tire your dog out, then they will be less likely to chew or eat things that they shouldn’t.

Chewing on things is often a boredom behavior. If you exercise your dog, they won’t have the energy to be bored in the first place!

Rotate Your Dog’s Toys

Rotate Your Dog’s Toys

Finally, you can try to rotate your dog’s toys in and out.

If your dog has full access to all of the toys all day long, then they will eventually lose interest in them. Rotating your dog’s toys is an excellent way to keep your pet’s attention on the toys instead of on things that they shouldn’t be chewing or eating.

Remember to check the toy conditions so your dog does not accidentally ingest any squeakers!

To Summarize

Mr Clean Magic Erasers are so effective when it comes to cleaning due to a special ingredient inside them called melamine.

Thankfully, as deadly as it is to stains and and smudges, it is non-toxic to dogs. This means that if your dog happened to eat one, there won’t be any adverse chemical reactions inside its body.

That doesn’t mean that it’s completely harmless, however. If your dog eats a magic eraser, it could still be in danger of choking or internal blockage. If it was a large piece of foam, it could get lodged in the stomach or intestines and prevent any flow or movement.

This can quickly become fatal for a dog, and needs to be treated immediately by a vet.

When it comes to Magic Erasers and dogs, prevention is always the better option compared to a potentially expensive and life-threatening cure.

You can effectively stop a dog from eating Mr Clean Magic Erasers and other cleaning equipment by placing them far out of canine reach, or by training your dog not to touch things that it’s not supposed to.

By doing so, you’ll be able to keep your home sparkling clean, and your dog perfectly healthy!

Leave a Comment